Monday, February 7, 2011

Regine Velasquez - The Diva, The Icon, The Asia's Songbird

Hindi ko maitatanggi ang malaking paghanga ko sa pinakamagaling na mangaawit na nabuhay sa buong kasaysayan ng Pilipinas, si Regine Velasquez. Siya din ay tinuturing kong isa sa pinakamagaling, pinakasikat at higit sa lahat pinakahinahangaan sa Asya at sa buong Mundo. Ang taglay niyang galing sa pagawit ay maikokompera sa mga pinagmamalaking mangaawit ng iba't ibang bansa at rehiyon sa mundo. Tulad ni Mariah Carey na tinaguriang "one of the world's best selling music artist" , si Celine Dion at ang legendary Whitney Houston. Marahil maraming hindi sasangayon sa mga sinabi at sinambit ko tungkol kay Regine Velasquez... Marahil maraming magsasabi kung sino ba naman ako para ilahad na si Regine ang pinakamagaling, na siya ang pinakasikat at pinakahinahangaan. Marami sa inyo ang magsasabi na dahil ako ay di hamak na isang tagahanga lamang kaya nasasabi ko ang mga ito. Maaring tama kayo, ngunit maaring tama din ako. Kung ito'y pagdedebatihan ay marahil inabot pa tayo ng isang linggo't mahigit.

Kaya para sa ikakatahimik ng lahat ng nagbabasa at taga-subaybay ng aking blog. Labis na mas maganda siguro kung mismong galing sa mga eksperto sa sining at musika ang paglalahad kung ano ba ang tingin nila sa talento ni Regine Velasquez.



                                                                  (photo from: titikpilipino.com)

1. Maestro Michel Legrand

Una sa listahan ay si Maestro Michel Legrand (sino daw?). Marami sa inyo ang hindi nakakakilala kay Maestro Legrand, siya ay mat 13 Oscar nominations - tatlo dito ay napanalo niya, may 5 Grammy award at nominado din sa Emmy's. Mga kilalalang komposisyon niya ay ang Papa Don't Preach, Windmills of Your Mind, Yentl, at marami pa. So, ano naman ang opinyon niya ukol sa talento ni Regine?

“Its tough to sing a song after Barbra Streisand, I will tell you…But to sing with Regine is, I'm in heaven..She sings so well…she has such an extraordinary technical voice…and sensitive voice and talented expression.”

"The first time I heard her sing, I said to myself, 'what the hell? I owe it to the rest of the world to introduce this voice to them'. She is the voice with both the range and the heart - which is like none I've ever heard of in my entire career."


"I am very privileged to have performed with this very talented lady here. And each time Regine sings my songs, I couldnt help but say she sings the best versions. I just never heard my songs sound so well."




2. Bryan McKnight

Sino ba naman ang di makakakilala sa kanya? Mga nagpasikat ng kantang Back at One, One Last Cry, Love is, Love of my Life, 6 8 12, My kind of girl at marami pang iba. Siya ay may 16 Grammy Nominations at MTV awardee din.

 “I have to tell you..I have worked with a lot of people, and you’re.. I have to put you right up the top of the list of the most talented people I have worked with...”

"I feel like the luckiest man in the planet to be able to sing with such an incredible talent. "

When asked who his favorite Filipino artist is, McKnight answers without skipping a beat. "My favorite's Regine. Regine must be one of the greatest singers that I've heard anywhere. She can hold her own next to anyone. I doubt that anybody would want to come behind her after she sings." (AsianJournal)





3. Peabo Bryson
Isang Grammy award winner na nakatambalan ni Celine Dion sa kanta niyang "Beauty and the Beast". Pinasikat din niya ang awiting If Ever You're in My Arms Again, A Whole New World, Tonight I Celebrate My Love, Without You. 

“And I must say that this maybe the only female vocalist in the world who can rival Celine Dion.”






4. Jeffery Osbourne

Isang Amerikanong R&B singer at kompositor na nagpasikat ng mga awiting On the Wings of Love, I Really Dont Need No Light, Stay With Me Tonight. Siya ang sumulat ng awiting All at Once na inawit ni Whitney Houston noon.


"SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL VOICE, MAN-A BEAUTIFUL VOICE.."






5. David Kozzz

Isang Jazz artist na nagpasikat ng awiting CARELESS WHISPER.

 “How about this round of applause for this incredible voice! I never heard that song sounding great. Thank you so much!”






6. Mandy Moore

Kailangan ko pa ba ipakilala si Mandy Moore? Mangaawit na nagpasikat ng Cry, Crush, In my Pocket, Only Hope, Can we still be friends, Have a Little Faith in me, I Wanna Be with you. Siya din ay lumabas sa mga pelikulang Walk to Remember, Chasing Liberty, Saved, American Dreamz, The Princess Diaries at marami pang iba.

Regine sang "Cry" with Mandy at the MTV Asia Awards. Mandy wrote on her official website "Along with hosting the whole MTV Awards show with Ronan Keating in Asia, I  performed "Cry." It was so great because I thought it would really surprise  people when the biggest pop star in Asia, Regine Velasquez, joined me to sing the song as well. The crowd went crazy and she and I really got along. She was so sweet and had learned the whole song by the time we arrived in Singapore. She has an amazing voice and actually won the award for Favorite Female.






7. Jacky Cheung

Marahil marami din sa inyo ang di nakakakilala kay Jacky Cheung. Siya ang pinakatanyag at kilalang singer sa buong Asya. Maraming nakamit na awards sa Asya pati nadin sa Amerika at Europe. Mahigit kumulang 60 million records sold ang albums niya making him the highest record selling Asian Artist.


"She was eating (pizza), something which I never did when I try to record a song. That was very amazing to me. That was the first time I ever did a duet with any artist. She has a very talented mind and gifted voice."


(Clarence Hui interviewed Jackie from the March 2002 #37 issue of Cashflow Magazine... )

You have worked with many female singers now including Priscilla (Chan), Shirley (Kwan) - Let's face it, almost every Polygram artist at that time. Sandy (Lam) and Kit (Chan), in your musical, Snow, Wolf, Lake. If you had to choose, who would you say was the most memorable?

  "I would have to say Regine (Velasquez). Her singing is totally awesome. But it isn't just her technique. Yes, she has an excellent range, etc, but it wasn't until I was actually in the studio to hear her record the song that I realized just how good she is. The way she used her voice, and how she rendered every note and phrase left me speechless. I just stood there wondering, "How am I going to match this, or compliment it to do it justice?" It was that serious, but also that wonderful."





8.  Coco Lee

Nagiisang Asian Singer na may tatlong number 1 singles sa MTV Asia. Tinaguriang isa sa 50 Most Powerful People in Asia sabi ng Asia Weekly. Naging singing voice ni Mulan sa Mandarin version ng nasabing pelikula. Nagpasikat ng awiting Do You Want my Love at Before I Fall in Love hanggo sa pelikulang Runaway Bride.




                                                             Photo: songbirdsource.blogspot.com

9. David Archuleta

American Idol Season 7 First Runner Up. Nagpasikat ng mga awiting Crush, A Little Too Not Over You, Somebody Out There, Angels, Elevator, My Kind of Perfect at marami pa...

“I’ve heard that there are a lot of amazing singers from the Philippines.” “My favorite is Regine Velasquez. She was actually the one who got me to be an even bigger fan of Mariah Carey because she was singing all those Mariah Carey songs that I’ve never heard before. ‘Wow.’ I said, ‘Regine is so good; she’s amazing’.’”

Hmm.. She isn’t like my idol or anything haha, but I do really like her voice! She’s an amazing singer.” WALLACE Huo: he said that he likes regine's songs on SOP he even kissed her on her face.






10. Wallace Huo

Siya ay isang Taiwanese Singer at Actor. Kilala siya sa Sound of Colors na pinalabas sa Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, USA, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, and Japan.

 He said that he likes regine's songs on SOP he even kissed her on her face.







11.  Nathaniel Flatt (V Factory)

Siya ay miyembro ng sikat ng pop and r&b band na V Factory. Kung saan nominado ang grupo nila bilang favorite band/group sa StarShine Music Awards. 


He shared that he once danced at a show for Regine Velasquez in LA, and is in awe of the Filipina diva’s singing voice. (http://manilaconcertscene.blogspot.c...ival-hits.html/)




                                                      photo from: summerr-in-the-shower.blogspot.com

12. Duane Russell Ho

Siya ay kabilang sa Top Ten ng Singapore Idol na humahanga ng malaki kay Regine. Sa kanyang blog ay matatagpuan ang katanungang ito:


Who is your favourite Asian person? Regine Velasquez (omg she is so pretty!)





13. Lea Salonga

Kilala sa pagganap bilang Kim sa award winning play na Miss Saigon. Siya din ang gumanap na Cinderella sa Asian tour ng nasabing palabas. Lumabas din sa Les Miserables at marami pang broadway shows. Si Lea ang naging singing voice ni Princess Jasmine sa Aladdin at Mulan sa Mulan I and Mulan II. Isa siyang Tony and Olivier Awardee.


“Local singers known for performing in this (belting) style are regine velasquez…although I have to give her props for exploring the quieter, more soothing aspects of her range.” “Truth be told, I sometimes envy the biriters PIPES OF STEEL; The heights that their voices can reach and the physical stamina that their efforts require

"I love her voice.. it's very clean, very soothing, but at the same time very powerful. And that (vocal) range, what a magnificent range! So amazing."



                                              photo from: http://www.abante-tonite.com/issue/oct1809

14. Charice 

Youtube sensation turned International Sensation kung saan lumabas sa maraming shows sa US tulad ng Ellen De Generes, Oprah, Good Morning America, at iba pa. Nakihalubilo din sa maraming sikat na international singers tulad nila Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Usher at iba pa. Lumalabas siya sa hit tv series na Glee.


When asked about, How does she feel about performing with Asia's Songbird?

"Nagkaron po siya ng concert sa Long Beach [California]. Talagang hindi po ako nanonood ng concert pero kapag big fan po talaga ako ng isang artist, pumupunta po ako.

" She's already a legend and everybody idolizes her including my mother Raquel "Kaye" Relucio Pempengco. My mommy has bought almost all of Ate Regine's CDs and tapes and watched her videos. She's a sweet person. Not many people know that she's actually a shy person. Her voice is so powerful - sweet but powerful. Before our trip to Los Angeles last February, Ate Regine invited me to dinner at her home and cooked carbonara for us. She's an amazingly good cook, too!'

"Ah, well, you see, I always say to those who ask: it is only Ms Regine whom I had not sang a duet with of all my favorite singers…"



Hindi lang din sila ang mga international star na nakatrabaho ni Regine sa kanyang career, marami pa. Ilan pa dito ay sina:



15. 98 Degrees

Regine sang their song "Hardest Thing" with the group on SOP when they were at the Philippines. The band was amazed @ Regine's vocal dynamics. They told her that they had one of her albums.




16. Ronan Keating
Ronan stopped by the Philippines for the promo tour of his new album on 2001 and did a duet with Regine with his song "When You Say Nothing At All". Another memorable performance.


                                                             photo: http://www.reginemultimedia.com

17. David Hasselhoff (Baywatch, America's Got Talent, Click)
They Recorded a song together entitled, "More Than Words Can Say". Shot in Malibu.



                                                           photo: http://www.reginemultimedia.com


18. Fernando Carillo ( Fernando Jose sa Rosalinda) 
Regine and Fernando re-recorded Regine's revival hit "IKAW" and performed it live on his major concert in the Philippines as well. He also said in a youtube video clip that his favorite is Regine. 




19. Paul Anka 

Nagpasikat ng mga awiting Diana, Lonely Boy, You are my Destiny at Put Your Head on My Shoulder.

Recorded a song with Regine, "It's Hard To Say Goodbye". Regine's original
duet with Paul Anka "It's hard to say goodbye" was re-recorded by none other than CELINE DION. 



20.  Remus Choy (Grasshopper)
Collaborated with Regine on her RETRO album on the song "I Can't Help It"





21. Norman Brown
Sang "The Closer I Get To You" with Regine.



 

22. Jim Brickman
Jim Brickman became an instant fan with Regine's rendition of his compositions Your Love, By Heart, and My Valentine. in their concert with Ariel Rivera and The Company and promised to write a song for her. 





23. Stephen Bishop
Sang "Separate Lives" with Regine in SOP.


Ilan lang sila sa mga humahanga sa kagalingan ng nagiisang Asia's Songbird na si Regine Velasquez. Abangan ang part two ng blog ko tungkol dito! Salamat! =)




4 comments:

  1. Thank you Diamond R... Keep supporting the Songbird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! ang adik lang! but i love your blog! Songbird rules! she deserves all the love in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ abcmusic09 hehe... i love her so much.. she inspired me to create a blog... you can check out my entry entitled "The Beauty of a Songbird"... i think you'll like it... =) thanks!

    ReplyDelete